Spring Fun Event #2 Results & Points Event #1 Registration

News and information about CKR's Solo/Autocross program
Forum rules
NOTE: All content in this forum is displayed publicly on the web to all users, regardless of being logged in.
Michael
Site Admin

Spring Fun Event #2 Results & Points Event #1 Registration

Post by Michael »

A whopping 81 entries showed for the fun event today! Thank you everyone for the hard work in pulling the event off.

Results are now available on the Spring Fun Event #2 Event Page.

Also, in exactly two weeks is our next event and the first of our 8 event 2013 points season. Registration is now open. Please see the Points Event #1 listing for all the important details and registration.

Coming up this thursday is our general members meeting at Sawyer's Downtown. Everyone is welcome, members and not!
jcd
Site Admin

Re: Spring Fun Event #2 Results & Points Event #1 Registrati

Post by jcd »

What a great event, we haven't had 3 heats at the pad in a long time and I thought it was a nice change of pace. The course was really challenging, I wish I had a few dozen more swings at it.

Thanks to all the volunteers who came out early to help set up, I know these events don't just happen magically, it's appreciated.
91 STS
'91 miata
2HorsePower

Post by 2HorsePower »

Michael, if you need a Novice Chief I am happy to volunteer again. I think it really helps make new folks feel more welcome and more apt to come back when we do more to reach out to them at their first couple events.
Michael
Site Admin

Post by Michael »

2HorsePower wrote:Michael, if you need a Novice Chief I am happy to volunteer again. I think it really helps make new folks feel more welcome and more apt to come back when we do more to reach out to them at their first couple events.
Thank you for putting that novice walk together at the last second, it was critical and you helped cover my mistake of forgetting about it.

I have several tools in mind to assist you and our waiver people with newcomers.

Additionally, with the turnout we're returning to I'm likely to start worker signups ahead of time, similar to how Louisville does before events.
Rzoops
Site Admin

Post by Rzoops »

I had a great time today and was really happy to get the new Integra out to an autocross. I was even happier to see so many new faces and cars out to an early fun event. This is great news for CKR and the sport in general. Let's keep the positive momentum going!

Also, Mike, if you need help with creating some work assignment primers for the jobs outside of working the course, I'd be happy to help. These could even be hosted publicly for people to become familiar with ahead of time.
- Ryan

1994 Acura Integra RS
Michael
Site Admin

Post by Michael »

Thanks. Certainly agree that it should be on our website. I have a little more work to do on the CMS for the website and we can do it there. I'll set you up with a login if you'd like. It's about 90 times easier to use than joomla was.
2HorsePower

Post by 2HorsePower »

Regarding the work assignment descriptions/tutorials I think it's a great idea. In fact, they had a version in the Nationals driver info manual in 2010. I'll dig it out so we can refer to it as a starting point. I'm posting from my phone otherwise I'd link it right now. That plus some cheat sheets for the more technical jobs (eg computer, running the sound meter, etc) should help a lot with people learning new positions and those trying to remember the details after a long off season.
zmatson

Post by zmatson »

2HorsePower wrote:Michael, if you need a Novice Chief I am happy to volunteer again. I think it really helps make new folks feel more welcome and more apt to come back when we do more to reach out to them at their first couple events.
Laura,

I think this is a good idea, and I would be happy to help you. Working the grid a couple times last year, I felt like there was a need/potential to really improve communication with new/novice drivers.

Last year was my first year, and at the drivers' meeting, they said to grab someone at the trailer if it was your first event. Bucky rode along with me, and if he hadn't kept his cool on my first run, with car issues getting to the line, I probably would have left and never returned. I think most of the new drivers don't ask for help, and that sometimes leads to unnecessary stress/fiascos. However, when offered help/a rider, most people seem relieved to have the opportunity.

The novice walkthroughs are very helpful (but we need a hand-held speaker for the leader so everyone can hear). If we can identify the first-timers, and make sure they are comfortable with all the logistics (pairing them up with someone to ride along if possible), I think that makes for a less stressful, more enjoyable first time out.

Anyway, I don't have any line advice, and very little driving advice, but I can certainly help identify and talk to new people, and help explain the logistics of the event (and help find riders, which can be its own can of worms).
Michael
Site Admin

Post by Michael »

zmatson wrote:but we need a hand-held speaker for the leader so everyone can hear
It was easy when we had 5 or 6 novices, but our turnout was so awesome it looked like a good 40 people were following Laura around :)

I don't know much about this kind of things so if anyone has examples of something we can buy please let me know. I don't like the idea of a bullhorn cause that seems so... RAWR YELLING AT YOU... but maybe that's how you do it?
jcd
Site Admin

Post by jcd »

If we get that many people in the walk again, well split into two or three groups. There are plenty of people who can give course walks, I'm always happy to do them.
zmatson

Post by zmatson »

Michael wrote:
zmatson wrote:but we need a hand-held speaker for the leader so everyone can hear
It was easy when we had 5 or 6 novices, but our turnout was so awesome it looked like a good 40 people were following Laura around :)

I don't know much about this kind of things so if anyone has examples of something we can buy please let me know. I don't like the idea of a bullhorn cause that seems so... RAWR YELLING AT YOU... but maybe that's how you do it?

I understand what you guys are saying about yesterday's walk, but I can't think of a single novice walk from last season that didn't have issues (due to wind, generators, and/or just the number of people).
Michael
Site Admin

Post by Michael »

You're definitely right, and it's amazing how wind can kill a voice.
jcd
Site Admin

Post by jcd »

2HorsePower wrote:...That plus some cheat sheets for the more technical jobs (eg computer, running the sound meter, etc) should help a lot with people learning new positions and those trying to remember the details after a long off season.
Kinda like this?
WORKER ASS1GNMENT.doc
Based off 2010 nationals handout.
(200.5 KiB) Downloaded 663 times
Michael
Site Admin

Post by Michael »

Exactly. I'm going to use that as the starting point and me and zoops tweak for our local differences and more detail. If you would like to help edit lemme know.
Michael
Site Admin

Post by Michael »